Thursday, October 30, 2008

The long awaited Charleston Post...

Well its finally here.... Sorry for it taking so long... sometimes I am so busy, I can't seem to sit down and just do it....It's really not that bad once I do it... I am always afraid it will take me so long... so I just put it off..... kinda like a lot of things....
We started our long weekend off early Friday morning... it was walk to school day for Jonathan and Sarah so we got Abigail and Hannah on the bus and then we drove to the shopping center to park and unload the kids... we walk from down where the old Harris Teeter was. We walked them to school and into their classes... It was a nice walk... I forgot to bring my camera and take pictures... I am so bad... one day I will get better at remembering to bring the camera everywhere. We then came home and loaded the car. We had to go to the church office and pick up my paycheck so we would have some money to spend and to the bank to deposit it. We finally got on the road around 10am or so... We had a nice relaxing ride to Charleston...

We stopped for a early lunch in Columbia since we knew that we were having a early dinner at Hymens when we got to Charleston....It is our favorite restaurant there for seafood...It is always good no matter what we order. The last time we were in Charleston... about 2 years ago we were spotted wearing a Hymens raving fan sticker and won a 25.00 gift certificate... the catch is you have to use it before 5pm to get the full value... after that it was only worth 12.50... so we had to eat early for sure.

Once we arrived in Charleston, we headed to our favorite "thrift" store and found some wonderful bargains. I found 2 Lily Pulitzer skirts and some other cool stuff for the kids and Tyler. The 2 skirts were in wonderful condition... I think one of them is brand new just without the tags. If they don't fit me I will put them on eBay. I also found a great blue shirt from Talbots that was new without tags also. Tyler found some Jos A Banks dress pants and a nice blazer. I also found the Hannah some Abercrombie jeans and a sweatshirt. All in all it was a great visit to one of our favorite "stores".

Once finished we headed downtown to our hotel. It was so nice to check in and have the valet take the car to park for us. We did not see our car again till Sunday afternoon when we checked out.
We went to dinner at Hymens and had a wonderful dinner. Since it was our anniversary I got to get my all time favorite for dinner....Alaskan King Crab legs... they were a little pricey but they were wonderful. I got 6 huge legs and some butter to dip it in, I was in heaven. Tyler got something... I am not sure what... I was so into my crab legs....I ruined a brand new black shirt with a small butter stain, but it was worth it. We left Hymens and walked through the market for a little and went back to our room for an early evening.

This was a cool garden that we saw, it had already closed for the day. We meant to go back sometime over the weekend, but we forgot. Maybe next time.

We woke up early Saturday morning and went to Dunkin Doughnuts for breakfast. It was really good. After that we went shopping all day on King Street. We had lots of fun. We looked in lots of cute shops and bought a few things, but not too much. We saw this store window which made us laugh

It rained off and on all day... but we were together so it didn't matter... well sort of.

We went back to the room and got ready for dinner. We had a great dinner at a small Caribbean place called Toast, it was wonderful, off the beaten path and not busy. We decided not to have dinner there and go to Kaminsky's for dessert. We walked out and it was pouring rain.... we had left our umbrella in the room which was several blocks away, so we decided to just run, about 7 blocks up to Market Street. We hung out on Market Street for a while, but we were so full that we never made it to Kaminsky's for dessert. We stayed out late and had a fun time with each other.

This was before we went out for dinner... and before the rain.
We woke up Sunday not wanting to leave. We took our time and got ready, we didn't know where to eat breakfast so we just walked around till we found Poogan's Porch, it looked cute and was busy so we waited for about 15 minutes till we were seated. If you go to Charleston, this is one place to skip. The food was not very good, the service was poor and it took forever. At one point during the meal they took Tyler's coffee cup, once he had finished the first cup, now I did say they took it, not refilled it but took it all together.... finally Tyler asked if he could have another cup of coffee he was told that there were no coffee cups clean and he would have to wait. We were sitting near the coffee and wait staff station so he could see one cup sitting on the shelf, he pointed it out to our waiter, and he said "you want that cup, its too small" Tyler said Yes, its the same size as my last cup, so after 25 minutes with no coffee he finally got another cup. Then our meal arrived, it was biscuits and sausage gravy, there was no sausage in the gravy just one patty on top and the biscuit was sooooooooo dry. He had asked Tyler how he wanted his eggs that was with the biscuits and gravy, he told him over easy, well they came scrambled. I asked for a side of bacon instead of the side of sausage that was with it and got the sausage and the bacon and charged 5.00 for 2 pieces of bacon.
We spent the remainder of Sunday down by the battery and walking around the neighborhoods around there. We headed home about 4 pm.
It was a fantastic weekend!
Can't wait till we can go back!


Rhonda said...

Yea, two Charleston posts in the same day!! We LOVE Hymens too! And you need to tell me where that store is... :)

Sophie Morand said...

It looks like you had a lot of fun. We love Charleston too. It is different from the other American cities.